1) What happened to Lincoln three days after he gave his speech about Reconstruction? 2) Before the Civil War, the South was among the five wealthiest geographic regions/societies in the world. TRUE OR FALSE?
What happened to Lincoln three days after he gave his speech
1) What happened to Lincoln three days after he gave his speech about Reconstruction?
2) Before the Civil War, the South was among the five wealthiest geographic regions/societies in the world. TRUE OR FALSE?
3) According to the documentary, it came as a surprise to most white plantation owners that most of their former slaves were unhappy ‘working’ for them, and were very angry with them. TRUE OR FALSE?
4) What was the purpose of the meeting with Major General Sherman, Secretary of War Edwin Stanton, and the twenty African-American church ministers on 12 January 1865?
6) What is Special Field Order #15? What did it state?
7) Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, believed what about African Americans in the South?
8) What was Frederick Douglass’s impression of Andrew Johnson?
9) What was significant about St Catherine’s Island, which is located off of the coast of Georgia?
10) What was in Johnson’s plans for Reconstruction?
11) Who is Thaddeus Stephens? What group in congress did he lead? What did they believe in?
12) What did Tunis Campbell set up to help the cause of his fellow African-Americans?
13) What happens when the white southern plantation owners were pardoned by Johnson by the thousands?
14) Approximately how many African Americans were murdered in Louisiana in 1865?
15) What did the ‘Black Codes’ state?
16) What did Adele Coleman do that was so disagreeable to her family and to Southern culture in general?
17) The 39th congress convened in 1865. What did they do to the former Confederates congressmen?
18) What did Johnson do to the Civil Rights bill?
19) What did the 14th Amendment state?
20) What was the New Orleans Massacre?
21) In general, what was the Northern public’s response to Andrew Johnson’s midterm election ‘speaking tour’ to promote his version of Reconstruction?
22) What was included in the ‘Radical Reconstruction Plan’ passed by congress?
23) Reconstruction forced the Southern states to allow African Americans to vote. Were Northern states forced to do this?
24) Pierce Butler returned to his plantation to find it destroyed. The Freedmen believed that the plantation belonged to them. They came to a compromise of sorts. What was this compromise and what was it called?
25) New Orleans fall of 1867. Delegates joined together to draw up a new constitution for the state of Louisiana. There were both African Americans and white Northerners and Southerners in attendance. TRUE OR FALSE?
26) What was the condescending nickname given to Northerners who came down South to involve themselves in the political and economic life of the South? We still use the term today.
27) What did the Georgia constitution state about African Americans holding political office?
28) In what political ideas did Ulysses S Grant believe?
29) Before Reconstruction, the South did NOT have a public school system for whites OR African Americans. TRUE OR FALSE?
30) October of 1869: what happened to Abram Colby? Who did it and why?
31) What did Senator Marshall Twitchell do for African Americans? How did white Southerners feel about him?
32) What did Tunis Campbell do to help the cause of working African Americans?
33) 1873. US Grant wins a second term as President. What was the historic occurrence at the inaugural ball?
34) What were the charges against Tunis Campbell? What was the outcome of the hearing against him?
35) What was the response of white Northerners as a result of the Crash of 1873 and following Depression?
36) What was the purpose of the ‘White League’?
37) IN 1874, the White League led an uprising called the ‘Coushatta Massacre’. Who was killed?
38) What did Lynch find when he returned to Mississippi?
39) What happened to Marshall Twitchell on the river? Did he survive?
40) In 1877, Reconstruction was over. What was the outcome? Where did Marshall Twitchell go?
41) By 1913, what had been reversed in Reconstruction? What lived on?