Review your notes on Charles Mann’s 1493, the sample book review by Ahmet Karamustafa and the article “Writing a Book Review” on the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) site:
Review your notes on Charles Mann’s 1493, the sample
Indiana State University: HIST 213: Environmental History
Book Review (100 pts)
Write a 750-1000-word book review of Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus
Rough Draft: Monday, October 12 (in-class peer review session)
Final Draft: Wednesday, October 14, 11:59pm EST.
1. Review your notes on Charles Mann’s 1493, the sample book review by Ahmet Karamustafa and the article “Writing a Book Review” on the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) site:
2. Write a thorough outline of your review (approximately seven paragraphs) before you begin writing. This requires thinking through the major themes in the book you want to explore, piecing all the materials together in a clear, coherent way. Remember, you still need to have an argument or thesis of your own in a book review.
3. Write a 750-1000-word book review based on your outline.
4. Prepare a rough draft for our in-class peer review session on Monday October 12.
5. The final draft is due on Blackboard by Wednesday, October 14, 11:59pm EST.
A book review provides summary and analysis of a text based on the informed perspective of the reviewer. Here is a sample outline you may use when preparing the background for your essay:
Firstly, Introduction and (your) main argument
Secondly, summary of the book (chapter by chapter)
Thirdly, overview of theory, sources, and research methods
Fourthly, the book’s main argument
Further, critique of the book’s main argument
Additionally, critique of theory, sources, and research methods
Finally, conclusion: what is useful about this book?