I’m trying to learn for my Health & Medical class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
MN585-1: Demonstrate a consistent approach to the evaluation and management of illnesses and conditions for the frail elderly patients presenting in the primary care setting.
MN585-3: Formulate an evidence-based management plan for the frail elderly patients in the primary care setting with acute, episodic, and chronic illnesses, taking consideration of gender, culture, and ethnicity.
The purpose of this assignment is to increase the nurse practitioner’s awareness and sensitivity to pharmacokinetic changes and prescribing implications occurring in frail elderly related to these changes and potential adverse effects of polypharmacy in the frail elderly patient.
Identify a patient from your clinical site that is age 65 or older and takes at least 12 prescription medications, over-the-counter (OTC) medications, and herbal supplements.
- Describe your patient including age, gender, ethnicity, medical diagnoses, medication allergies, and list of prescriptions/OTC medications/herbal supplements including dosage, route, and frequency.
- Describe 3 age related changes that can affect pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics.
- Using Beer’s criteria, review the patient’s medication list to identify medications that are potentially inappropriate. What medications should be continued? What medications should you consider stopping? What are potential alternative medications that could be used in place of the medications that you would consider stopping?
- What are two challenges you as an NP face with regard to regulation of complementary and alternative medications in care of the frail elderly?
- As an NP, what is one specific strategy you will use to assess medication reconciliation including CAM and over the counter medications in the frail elderly population?
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
- Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 6th Edition format as outlined in the APA Progression Ladder.