This is a paper discussing the unit NUR-565-01 on the role of the advanced practice nurse. A key aspect discussed is the knowledge of pathophysiology.
NUR-565-01 Role of the Advanced Practice Nurse
Firstly, relate the role and scope for the advanced practice nurse to the coordination and management of common and/or complex health conditions in community health care settings
Secondly, integrate knowledge of pathophysiology, as well as anticipated history and physical examination findings, to formulate comprehensive plans of care for persons with common health conditions including pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic measures
Thirdly, develop and demonstrate the appropriate diagnoses and differential diagnoses based on analysis and interpretation of the acquired history, presenting symptoms, physical findings, and diagnostic information for patients with all health problems
Fourthly, demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment and accountability with a preceptor in designing, delivering, and evaluating evidenced based care to improve outcomes in patients with all health conditions
Then, evaluate and incorporate the environmental influences on the health care needs of individuals and families across the lifespan to develop educational and health promotional activities
Lastly, critically analyze data and incorporate evidence base materials to identify differential diagnoses for health care conditions
The student will need to provide supportive materials and evidence-based practice references based on the following:
- Describe what is going well within the clinical experience. How is your relationship with the clinical preceptor?
- Describe what new information/ knowledge/ skill you learned within the clinical experience.
- Describe an experience you found difficult within the clinical experience. Sharing difficult experiences allows us to grow. The explanation has no bearing on the grade offered in the reflection.
- Identify ways the situation may have been different. Provide rationale.
- Identify two strengths in your knowledge, skills and attitude identified within your clinical practice. The duration of time is from the last reflective journal.
- Identify two areas of weakness in your knowledge, skills and attitude identified within your clinical practice. The duration of time is from the last reflective journal.
- Identify steps to achieve mastery for the identified weaknesses.
- Identify areas in which you need support from your clinical faculty.