I’m working on a Anatomy exercise and need support.
choose ONE of the following diseases in order to answer the following questions:
1. Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD)
- Caused by a mutation in the gene for dystrophin
- Dystrophin helps connect the cytoskeleton of a cell to the basal lamina – main issue
- Two extra side effect are that excess calcium enters the cell and the mitochondria burst
- Caused by external damage to the muscle
- Leads to the breakdown of muscle fibers
- Two extra side effects are that excess calcium and continuous muscle contractions
3. Myosin Storage
- Caused by a mutation in the gene for MYH7
- Leads to an accumulation of myosin
- Two extra side effects are muscular weakness and spasms
Use the information about your disease to answer the following questions:
1. Using the two images below, or an image of your choice, explain what physical differences would occur in a muscle cell due to this disease.
2. Would this disease alter how your muscles can contract? List the events that occur during a contraction using the sliding filament model and indicate where, if anywhere, this disease would cause a problem and how. If it doesn’t, why not?
3. Would this disease effect one type of muscle fiber (Types I/IIa/IIb) more than the others? Why or why not?