I’m studying for my History class and need an explanation.
You are a member of the House of Commons, which is considering several reform bills:
- Expanding the right to vote to middle-class men;
- Granting women the right to divorce;
- Abolishing slavery; and
- Limiting the workday for children.
Step 1: You are in a group of MPs supporting one of these bills (assigned below). Taking on this identity, write a 200-word response laying out your arguments for the bill. What are the reasons you believe it will be beneficial to society?
- Gregory, Paolo, Fawaz, Emily
- Marina, Jenny, Carlos, Shire
- Shirley, Ronnie, Mason, Yousef
- Valeria, Felwa, Israa
Step 2: You are now an MP opposing one of the bills. Choose one of your colleague’s responses. Post a 50-word response laying out your arguments against the bill. What are the reasons you believe it will be harmful to society?