Can you help me understand this Art & Design question?
How Does the Media Affect the Message? Let’s try this experiment.
Based on the chapter you read AND Molly Bang, you will explore techniques used in creating an image and explore different types of media (be creative)- Should not be computer generated.
- Select ONE book from your chosen collection (a reminder that the list of books is on page 1 of this module) In the commentary/analysis, you’ll list the name of the book, include a picture of the scene you chose, and the page number.
- Read the book. Look closely at the pictures and the text to determine the meaning of each scene. Look at expressions, body placement, colors, mediums, etc…
- Take a picture of your final product and write commentary and analysis. When you look at the images, what do you notice? How does the media affect the message? How does artistic style affect the message? CITE- Use your textbook to help you discuss the illustrations (pp. 126-130).
- Embed your image (not attach or upload) AND the original image (scan or pic) then write commentary answering the questions above. See M1 about embedding images
Remember- Make sure you include the name of the book and page number of the original image with the original image.
Review Rubric- There should be a strong connection to the module readings in the commentary in order to get full points.
- The image I chose was from “Happy To Be Nappy”, the four media types I chose were crayons (top left), paint (top right), beads (bottom left) and tissue paper (bottom right). When I look at the different medias I notice that they all portray the original picture differently, and each can interpret a different meaning. For instance with the crayons, we can clearly see that she is happy since she is smiling and sniffing her hair. Whereas, with the beads it is unclear that she is sniffing her hair, but still looks happy. Each person has a different perspective of what the message is conveying, which means they may recreate the picture completely different than what is being shown in the book itself, or from what the illustrator had in mind. On page 128, Dr.schnider discusses how to interpret a picture books message based on the illustrations which is important for this page of the picture book I have chosen. The author says “girlpie hair smells clean and sweet”, the illustration shows the girl smiling (due to her hair being clean and smelling her fresh clean hair), which is the main takeaway from this page. So, it is important that the nose and sniffing motion is defined through the media.(THIS IS AN EXAMPLE)
elect one image to re-illustrate. Pick any image that is interesting to you or one that represents a pivotal moment. Or, perhaps you want to select an image that you would feel comfortable drawing? Take a picture of that page with the page number to post to the DB
Fold a blank piece of paper into four squares.
Choose four types of media and illustrate the same scene four times. We want you to be creative with media. Go beyond crayon and pencils and select media that contributes meaning to the story. Go beyond the media featured in our example. Try Legos, collage, shapes (like Molly Bang), sticks, food, etc. Each square should feature a particular media (name the media or show it)!!