Help me study for my English class. I’m stuck and don’t understand.
Purpose: This goal of this speech is for you to deliver a special occasion speech that entertains your audience. You can apply this skill at many events in your personal and professional life.
Task: In this 2-3—minute speech, you will select one type of special occasion speech from the following list and develop a speech that relates to that type:
- Entertaining speech: tell a true or fictional story
- Tribute speech: praise or celebrate a person, institution, event
- Inspirational speech: uplift your audience using positive emotions
- Toast: celebrate a newly married couple
- Speech of presentation: present an award
- Speech of acceptance: accept an award
- Eulogy: memorialize someone at their funeral
Chapter 22 in your text contains more information about these types of speeches. Should you have any questions about a special occasion speech, please contact your instructor. No outline or visual aid is required for this speech.
A successful student will:
- Select one type of special occasion speech and make sure your topic clearly and effectively addresses that type of special occasion speech.
- Use proper elements of vocal and physical delivery, such as avoiding vocal fillers, pausing between thoughts, making direct eye contact, and having strong posture, among others.
- Organize your speech well, including transitions and clearly developed main points.
- Cite any sources you use verbally.
- Not go over or under time.
- Dress professionally.