I don’t understand this Philosophy question and need help to study.
Keep your answers for each question at 1-2 paragraphs each.
Regarding Chapter 5
- After reading chapter 5 go back to the School of Names section (80-82)
- Melchert seems to get into a debate with himself as to whether they seemed like Sophists or the Eleatic (Parmenides influenced) movements in Greek Philosophy. Well, were they or are they something completely different – give evidence from the chapter.
Regarding Chapter 10
- Please spend some time explaining the Confucian doctrine of “differentiated loves”.Mencius believes philosophers like Zhu attach too much weight to personal interest.Why is this not good according to Mencius (226-227)?
- Please explore the concept of filial piety and how Confucius relates it to human goodness (222-223)
Confucius claims good manners and virtue are essential for public service and political positions — therefore,
- Do you agree with him? Why or why not?
- If so, what 5 criteria would be necessary for someone to qualify for political office?