I’m trying to study for my English course and I need some help to understand this question.
We will use this discussion to generate and respond to working thesis statements for Essay #2.
Greene and Lidinsky present four helpful models for formulating a working thesis:
- The Misinterpretations model: “Although many have argued X, a careful examination suggests Z.”
- The Gap model: “Although others have noted X, they have overlooked the importance of Y.”
- The Modification model: “Although I agree with the X and Y ideas of other writers, it is important to extend/refine/limit their ideas in this way…”
- The Hypothesis-testing model: “While some writers explain X by suggesting Y, a close analysis of the problem reveals several competing explanations…”
These thesis models are certainly not the only options available to you, but they do offer ways to enter an academic conversation and make a contribution that extends beyond merely summarizing or echoing someone else’s ideas.
In your initial post, do the following:
- Use two of the thesis models above to craft two potential working thesis statements you could use in this unit’s essay
- Write a paragraph or so defining the audience you plan to write your essay to. Explain who this audience is, why you have chosen this audience, and what techniques you plan to use in your essay to connect with this audience.
In your follow-up posts, respond to at least two classmate’s posts by doing both of the following:
- Explain the types of supporting evidence you would expect to see for each working thesis statement.
- Suggest at least one way your classmate could appeal to their chosen audience for Essay #2.
In Essay #2, write an essay that makes a thesis-based argument about education. Your essay must respond specifically to at least one of the assigned articles from Ch. 14. You will choose the audience for your essay, but remember: your job is to “enter the conversation” about education begun by your sources
To complete Essay #2, you will need to read or re-read the assigned articles from Ch. 14 of From Inquiry to Academic Writing. As the Essay #2 assignment explains, your job this week is to respond to at least one of the articles you have read from this chapter.