I’m working on a Business question and need guidance to help me study.
Scientists and pharmaceutical companies are working hard right now to come up with a vaccine for Covid 19, and the coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2 that causes it. (Covid 19 is the disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.)
Let’s say they succeed in making a vaccine. How should the sale of that vaccine be regulated?
Consider the following four options that the United States Government has for how to regulate the distribution of the vaccine:
- Allow pharmaceutical companies to set the price for the vaccine, and force individuals and their insurance companies to pay for it if they want it.
- Allow pharmaceutical companies to set the price for the vaccine, and subsidize the cost for all people who take it so that it is affordable for everyone. If you choose this option, you should clarify the following:
- Will it be free for everyone to encourage people to get vaccinated?
- If not, will everyone pay the same, or will people without insurance get a discount?
- Set a price ceiling so that the vaccine must be sold for an affordable price. If you choose this option, specify the following:
- Will the cost be subsidized by the government for people without insurance?
- Wil the ceiling be set where the pharmaceutical companies can make a profit? Or will it be set at the cost of producing the vaccine? Or will the companies be forced to take a loss?
- Force pharmaceutical companies to sell the vaccine to the US Government at an affordable price, and then control distribution of the vaccine.
- Will the price be set set where the pharmaceutical companies can make a profit? Or will it be set at the cost of producing the vaccine? Or will the companies be forced to take a loss?
Prompt: In 6-10 sentences:
Which of the above four options do you think the US government ought to choose, regarding the regulation of a Covid 19 vaccination sale? (Include the option number in your post.) Justify your answer.
If you support none of the above four options, what regulation do you support? Justify your answer.