I’m studying and need help with a English question to help me learn.
DB10 – READING RESPONSE TO “THE ULTIMATE GRAND CANYON TRAVEL GUIDE”
- Use the Weava Highlighter to read and annotate “The Ultimate Grand Canyon Travel Guide” (alternate pdf version).
- Watch Blending Quotations (a.k.a. ways to avoid dropped quotations) above (web handout).
- Use the Reading Response Instructions and the Example Reading Response to respond to “The Ultimate Grand Canyon Travel Guide” in DB10 – Reading Response.
- For Part 1, the paragraph study, focus more on HOW the author put the paragraph together, and less on WHAT they’re saying.
- So talk more what you can learn from them about how to write your own paragraphs — on any subject — and not at all about the information in the paragraph.
- For Part 2, follow all the instructions for the quotation, paraphrase, and summary sentences exactly.
- If it says to use a signal phrase and contextualize a paraphrase, then do that.
- And so on. Refer to the instructions as you work.
- If there is any plagiarism in DB10 — accidental or otherwise — you will receive a zero.
- For Part 3, work to develop your OWN ideas in your response paragraph instead of just talking about what the source says. I know it’s hard. But it’s the secret weapon for excelling in college writing.
- I am NOT looking for a summary here.
- I am looking for your own idea in a topic sentence, a quotation used as evidence, and commentary that explains how the evidence supports your topic sentence claim.
- For Part 4, read the instructions.
- I attached an example of another student’s work down below.