I don’t understand this Health & Medical question and need help to study.
****Must be APA-7 format*****
Spath, P. L. (2018).
Introduction to healthcare quality management (3rd ed.). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
- Chapter 2, “Quality Management Building Blocks” (pp. 13-34)
Jaynelle, F. S. (2017). Exploring the interface between healthcare design and high-reliability organization initiatives. HERD:
Health Environments Research & Design Journal, (4), 17.
Plack, M. M., Goldman, E. F., Scott, A. R., Pintz, C., Herrmann, D., Kline, K., Thompson, T. & Brundage, S. B. (2018). Systems thinking and systems-based practice across the health professions: An inquiry into definitions, teaching practices, and assessment teaching and learning in medicine. Teaching and Learning in Medicine: An International Journal, 30(3), 242–254.
Williams, I., Brown, H., & Healy, P. (2018). Contextual factors influencing cost and quality decisions in health and care: A structured evidence review and narrative synthesis. International Journal of Health Policy Management, 7(8), 683–695.
Assignment: Pay-For-Performance (P4P)
The model for the delivery of healthcare in the United States and other parts of the world used to be fee-for-service where providers were reimbursed based upon how many patients they saw and treated rather than on the quality of the care that they provided. The current model is known as pay-for-performance, or P4P. This innovative delivery model has improved patient care by rewarding providers for the quality of care they provide, rather than the quantity of care.
A current example of P4P is Medicare. Medicare reimburses medical facilities and providers based on the quality of the care they provide. Additionally, providers are asked to pay specific attention to issues that, if addressed early on, it could decrease the likelihood of issues developing into a more expensive chronic health problem in the future. In this model, Medicare regularly reviews specific standards are reviewed regularly by Medicare based on very specific problems. These problems have been chosen because if they are addressed appropriately when the providers identify them, they could possibly be prevented from recurring. For example, high blood pressure, if left unchecked, can develop into chronic kidney disease, heart disease, or stroke. If treated appropriately, these chronic and more risky health issues may be prevented. Hence the term, “pay for performance” (P4P) or being paid to do a better job.
For this Assignment, you will explore the topic of P4P. You will select and summarize two reputable sources that discuss the challenges of adopting the pay-for for-performance model. You will also identify the most significant challenges to adopting the P4P model.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the Learning Resources focusing on those related to pay-for-performance.
- Using the Walden Library or the Internet, select two reputable resources (i.e., news sources, accreditation and healthcare agencies, peer-reviewed journal articles, etc.) that address the challenges of adopting a pay-for-performance approach for ensuring quality and safety in healthcare.
To complete this Assignment, write a 3-page paper that addresses the following:
- Summarize each of the resources that you selected.
- Explain the challenges discussed in each of the two sources that you selected.
- Identify the two challenges that you think are the most significant to successfully adopting a P4P approach. Explain why.
Support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and/or additional sources, as appropriate. Your citations must be in APA format.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 5 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 5 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
By Day 6 of Week 5
To submit your Assignment:
Week 5 Assignment