I’m studying for my Business class and need an explanation.
Select a current, professional journal article that is at least three pages in length. You must write a critical assessment of this article for this assignment. Keep in mind, the research databases found in the CSU Online Library are a great source for quick exploration of thousands of articles.
In preparation, follow the guidelines established below:
Find an article (that is less than five years old) that pertains to the important issues leaders or consultants will face when working with various types of teams, and discuss what methods are best to use for developing better teams for the future. Be sure to annotate the author’s main points and thesis statement in your own words.
The critique should be approximately three pages in length (not counting the title and reference pages). The assignment is due at the completion of Unit VIII. Plan early to avoid missing the deadline.
Part I: Introduction
Start the critique with the following information: the author’s name, the article title, and the author’s thesis statement.
Part II: Summary
Summarize the author’s purpose and main points, providing examples for clarity of understanding the author’s intended implications. Share key topics that support the author’s focus for this article. Provide ample details to enlighten the reader as to what the article is implying for audiences who are seeking research data about team building and/or the different types of teams (e.g., virtual, temporary, traditional, or innovative).
Part III: Review and Evaluate
To critically review the article, ask the following questions:
- What are the credentials/areas of expertise of the author?
- Did the author use appropriate methods to gather the evidence?
- Did the author use accurate evidence?
- Does the author’s use and interpretation of this evidence lead the reader to the same conclusion? Did the author build a logical argument?
- Is there other evidence that would support a counterargument?
- Was the author successful in making his/her point?
Part IV: Conclusion
State whether you agree with the author or not. Back up your decisions by stating your reasons. Give a general opinion of the work. Explain what you learned from reading the article and if you would recommend it to a friend/coworker.
Part V: Application
Predict some of the major challenges that teams will face in the future, and explain why the need for teamwork will remain high as it relates to the article. Identify a team-building activity that may be useful for managing teams in the future, and explain why.
Format your paper using APA style. Refer to the resources provided in the Student Portal. Use your own words and expressions to write the critique. Include citations and references as needed to avoid plagiarism. The paper should consist of three pages of body paragraphs, one title page, and one reference page (as the final page).
Waterways (Chapter 27)
For this assignment, you will apply what you have learned from the unit lesson and required unit resources. The Waterways (WP27) case is located on page 27-35 of the textbook.
Waterways puts much emphasis on cash flow when it plans for capital investments. The company chose its discount rate of 8% based on the rate of return that it must pay its owners and creditors. Using that rate, Waterways then uses different methods to determine the best decisions for making capital outlays.
This year, Waterways is considering buying five new backhoes to replace the backhoes it now has. The new backhoes are faster, cost less to run, provide for more accurate trench digging, have comfort features for the operators, and have 1-year maintenance agreements to go with them. The old backhoes are working just fine, but they do require considerable maintenance. The backhoe operators are very familiar with the old backhoes and would need to learn some new skills to use the new backhoes.
The following information is available to use in deciding whether to purchase the new backhoes.
|Information||Old Backhoes||New Backhoes|
|Purchase cost when new||$90,000||$200,000|
|Salvage value now||$42,000|
|Investment in major overhaul needed in next year||$55,000|
|Salvage value in 8 years||$15,000||$90,000|
|Remaining life||8 years||8 years|
|Net cash flow generated each year||$30,425||$43,900|
- In the following methods, evaluate whether to purchase the new equipment or to overhaul the old equipment. (Hint: For the old machine, the initial investment is the cost of the overhaul. For the new machine, subtract the salvage value of the old machine to determine the initial cost of the investment.)
- Use the net present value method for buying new or keeping the old.
- Use the payback method for each choice. (Hint: For the old machine, evaluate the payback of an overhaul.)
- Compare the profitability index for each choice.
- Compare the internal rate of return for each choice to the required 8% discount rate.
- Are there any intangible benefits or negatives that would influence this decision?
- What decision would you make, and why?
Write your responses to these questions in a Word document. Your paper should be a minimum of two pages in length. You are not required to support your assignment with outside sources; however, if you do, adhere to APA Style when creating citations and references.