I’m trying to learn for my English class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Formal Writing Assn. #2 Analyze and Compare
In this assignment you will write about the two essays from below about poverty in America and write a compare and contrast essay about them using the format learned in Chapter 38 in NFGW.
Bader, Eleanor J., “Homeless on Campus” NFGW p.710
Kozol, Jonathan, “Fremont High School” NFGW p.716
Step 1 – Begin by doing a close reading of each one, making notes that you will be able to work from when beginning your outline and rough draft. You can do this in outline form or your own format.
Step 2 – Now create an outline that clearly details how you plan to present your comparison using one of the suggested methods in Chapter 38:
Outline of block method format:
* In your introduction present the issues and summarize the general area around which they differ. For example, what are the main conflicts of the essays and are they based on legal issues, ethical ones, or religious values?
* Your thesis should mention both articles and your planned approach to their analysis and comparison.
* Body Paragraph one should be summary and analysis of the first article.
* Body paragraph two should be summary and analysis of the second article
* Body Paragraph three is where you begin to compare and contrast the two articles. You can write more than one paragraph of comparison if you feel it necessary.
*Your analysis sections should be based on guidelines that we have studied in class and should include some the following things (not necessarily all):
-summary of the article that includes:
The topic, and answers to the questions who, what, when, where, and why;
Restate your thesis. Summarize your main points. End with a statement that sums up why you think this issue matters.
Format: 3 – 4 pages, double-spaced, font size: 12; one inch margins
Final draft portfolio will consist of:
* Rough draft with my comments (already in folder)