I’m stuck on a Music question and need an explanation.
Option 1. Select one early musical instrument to research from the list below:
Clavichord – Cornetto (or cornett) – Crumhorn – Harpsichord – Hurdy Gurdy – Lute – Pipe and Tabor – Portative Organ – Psaltery – Rebec – Sackbut – Serpent – Shawm – Vielle – Viol
(Not sure where to start? Choose a strange-sounding name that is unfamiliar to you!)
Spend some time researching your chosen instrument on the internet. Please note that you are primarily researching the version of the instrument that was used in the medieval/Renaissance periods, not any modern equivalent. Use the following as a basis for your research:
- What type of instrument is this? Woodwind, brass, strings, keyboard, percussion? Haut (high) or bas (low)?
- How is this instrument played and how does it produce sound?
- What does the instrument sound like? See if you can find an audio recording or YouTube video featuring the instrument. (Tip: a recordings anthology called “Dictionary of Medieval and Renaissance Instruments,” available on YouTube, includes recordings of many of these instruments.)
- What kind of music did this instrument play? Dance music? Sacred music? Song accompaniments?
- Was this instrument played on its own or with other instruments? What kinds of other instruments might you hear with it?
- During what centuries was this instrument used?
- Was the instrument associated with any specific country, region, or group of musicians?
- What modern instrument(s) is this early instrument similar to? What are the similarities and differences?
- Note down anything else about your chosen instrument that seems interesting and unusual!
Option 2. Listen to the madrigal “As Vesta was from latmos hill descending”
Describe where text painting is happening and how it is happening in at least 5 instances. Indicate when it is happening in the recording through the timings. Explain how texture, mode (major or minor) musical device, meter, and number of voices contribute to the text painting.
Based on your research and the guiding questions above, write a minimum of 400 words about your selected instrument. Do not copy word-for-word from websites (this would be a plagiarism violation) or answer the above questions in order! Organize the information that you have found, select the most important and interesting points for inclusion in your homework, and present the information in your own words.
This homework is worth 5% of your final grade. You can view the grading rubric below.
Late assignments will be penalized by 10% per day late.
Word count: minimum 400 words. Include a word count at the bottom of your work.
- Upload your work as a Microsoft Word (doc or docx) file. No other file types will be accepted. Include your full name and Introduction to Music Online: Homework No.3 at the top of the document.
- Your document should have double line spacing on letter-size paper and use Times New Roman, 12pt, or a similar font.
- All submitted work must be your own. Any quoted material must be cited in a conventional manner. Please note that your work will be automatically checked for plagiarism by the Turnitin service, and that any plagiarism infractions will be treated severely.
Questions? Email with any questions or problems from the “Inbox” button on the left of the screen.